By Julie Murphree, Arizona Farm Bureau: Andy and Stefanie Smallhouse of Carlink Ranch in southern Arizona gave $1,000 to Arizona Farm Bureau’s Educational Farming Company as a result of being selected among dozens of applicants for Valent U.S.A. Corporation’s national “Relentless As You,” a contest recognizing the relentless spirit of the American Farmer and growers who go above and beyond in their communities and farming operations. The Smallhouse family picked the Educational Farming Company as their charity because of the work it does to educate the public about Arizona agriculture.
“I enjoyed meeting Andy and Stefanie,” said Art Anderson, sales representative for Valent U.S.A. who presented the check to the Smallhouse family. “It was wonderful to get to know them. They are exactly the kind of people we were hoping the award would go to.”
“We all know a grower who embodies the strength,
To enter, a 100-word description of their relentless spirit of dedication and determination to succeed on the farm and in the community accompanied by a photo or video had to be submitted. More than two dozen entries were posted from around the country.
At the conclusion of the contest, a panel of judges from Valent chose five national winners, who best exemplified a relentless way of living. The $1,000 grant is awarded in the winner’s name to a local 501(c)(3) charity of the winner’s choice. In addition, a $500 grant to a local 501(c)(3) charity was given in each winner’s respective local retailer’s name.
National winners include:
- Mike Bell, Sullivan, Ind., Sullivan County 4H Council/Sullivan County Fairboard
- Phil Yates, Paragould, Ark., St. Jude Children’s Hospital
- Andy & Stephanie Smallhouse, Redington, Ariz., Education Farming Co.
- Pam Zielinski, Gervais, Ore., Oregon Ag Fest, Inc.
- Jim Moreton, Charleston, Mo., Susanna Wesley Family Learning Center
Valent Choice Honorees include:
- John Aguzzi, Cleveland, Miss., Cleveland School District
- Randy Ridgway, Centralia, Mo., Angie Ridgway Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Jason White, Newville, Ala., Northside Methodist Academy
- Carl Ayers, Perrysville, Ohio, Helping Hand
- Brett Duncan, Hancock, Minn., Hancock School Foundation
Valent U.S.A. Corporation, headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., develops and markets products in the United States and Canada that protect agricultural crops, enhance crop yields, improve food quality, beautify the environment and safeguard public health. To learn more about the campaign, click here.