Worn tires are dangerous to drive on. With summer transitioning to fall, tire pressure is more likely to fluctuate with weather transitions. Our outside temperatures continue to hit over 100 degrees and road temperatures can be 15 to 20 degrees hotter. Keeping your tires in optimal condition year-round is as simple as these three easy steps:
1. Check the tire pressure and tread depth monthly
2. Have the tires rotated every 5000 to 6000 miles
3. Have your alignment checked every 6 months.
“One of the most important safety checks on your tires is a pressure reading and tread depth measurement. These are simple to do,” says Ken Passerby, Vice President of Operations & an ASE Certified Master Technician with Advanced Auto Service & Tire Centers, a Farm Bureau member benefit provider. “Tires need to be checked monthly to keep them at peak performance. It isn’t easy to find air stations these days which is why we provide free air pressure checks at all 14 of ourArizona locations!”
Monthly tire checks should include:
- Using a quarter, measure the tread depth of your tires. If the top of Washington’s head is exposed, the tread depth is less than 4/32nds of an inch, making it time to start shopping for new tires.
- Using a quality gauge, check tire pressure when your tires are cold. The recommended air pressure is in the vehicle’s owner’s manual and on the information decal usually located inside the driver’s door or glove compartment.
The psi number molded into the tire sidewall is the specifications for a tire carrying its maximum-rated payload and is not recommended for normal operating conditions.
Replace worn tires immediately to keep you and your family safe. If you are an Arizona Farm Bureau member, go to www.azfb.org and look under our automotive benefits to see what benefits are available and closest to you.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits.