By Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau: If you live in the desert southwest, you know we host ants, scorpions spiders, beetles, termites and more that like the hot, dry weather in the desert. Pest control is necessary, but how can we safely solve pest problems? The key is to be willing to ask questions. Learning about the pests you have and options that are available to control
Scorpions love our weather and they love our homes. These seven steps to preventing pest infestations may keep them away.
Fortunately, Arizona Farm Bureau members have a member benefit discount with Truly Nolen Pest Control at all their locations in Arizona. Truly Nolen can answer questions and give you a complete list of their services and locations in Arizona.
In the meantime, prevention is key. Here are seven step to pest prevention:
- Remove sources of food,
- Store food in sealed plastic or glass containers. Garbage containing food scraps should be placed in tightly covered trash cans. Remove garbage regularly from your home.
- Fix leaky plumbing and don't let water accumulate anywhere in or around the home. Don't let water collect in trays under your house plants or refrigerator. Don't leave pet food and water out overnight.
- Clutter provides places for pests to breed and hide and makes it hard to get rid of them. Get rid of things like stacks of newspapers, magazines, or cardboard.
- Close off places where pests can enter and hide. For example, caulk cracks and crevices around cabinets or baseboards. Use steel wool to fill spaces around pipes. Cover any holes with wire mesh.
- Learn about the pests you have and options to control them.
- Check for pests in packages or boxes before carrying them into your home
These simple preventative steps are the beginning to managing the pests that love our hot, dry weather.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app (FB Benefits) to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits.