BIOTECHNOLOGY IN AGRICULTURE
Arizona Farm Bureau is providing a one-stop shop for you to access resources about Biotechnology in Agriculture.
1. Arizona Farm Bureau = Biotechnology (grades 9-12)
Presentation length: 50 + minutes (can be tailored to your class period)
Students will participate in discussion about one of agriculture's most debated issues: biotechnology and GMOs. This presentation will introduce students to the history and science behind genetically modified organisms. To schedule a presentation contact Katie Aikins at 480.635.3608.
2. University of Arizona = Ellsworth, P.C. Making Sense of Genetically Modified Crops .
( 4 slides per page, PDF file 2.89 MB) = http://ag.arizona.edu/crops/presentations/2013/13GMOsNTOsBt.pdf
3. University of Arizona = General cache of Presentations on GM crops and Biotechnology
GM Crops and Biotechnology
- Review (Pro-Con) of the issue (what are the activists saying and what are the counter positions)
- Consider these recent myth busting reports by NPR and The Atlantic and Reason Magazine.
- Mark Lynas – one of the leading anti-GM activists –spoke at a conference in Europe earlier this year and announced a dramatic change of opinion on GMOs. You can view his speech or read a transcript online at: http://www.marklynas.org/2013/01/lecture-to-oxford-farming-conference-3-january-2013/. This speech has generated a broader discussion around the science.
- GM-BT Position Statements from government (USDA, FDA, EFSA), NGOs, Trade Groups and Other Influencers/Stakeholders (Gates Foundation) (NOTE: Not an inclusive list.)