Proper footwear is important, not only for foot comfort but also for one's general well-being. Improper footwear can cause or aggravate existing foot problems. Unfortunately, being fashionable sometimes takes precedence over choosing well-fitting, supportive safety footwear. Luckily, many safety footwear manufacturers today produce safety footwear that does look fashionable.
Arizona Farm Bureau members have a discount member benefit program with the Boot Barn and workboots.com. Do you know what to look for when buying work boots?
Here are six qualities to look for when purchasing good footwear:
1. The inner side of the shoe must be straight from the heel to the end of the big toe.
2. The shoe must grip the heel firmly.
3. The forepart must allow freedom of movement for the toes.
4. The shoe must have a fastening across the instep to prevent the foot from slipping when walking.
5. The shoe must have a low, wide-based heel; flat shoes are recommended.
6. The shoe should have a low, wide-based heel. Small heels (1/4” to 1/3” for a men size 9, scaled to other sizes) are recommended.
Don’t skimp on good fitting socks. When selecting footwear, you should also remember that tight socks or stockings can cramp the toes as much as poorly-fitted shoes. Make sure the sock is thick enough for the type of shoe or boot you’ll be wearing. Wrinkled socks, or socks that are too large or too small, can cause blisters. White cotton socks are recommended since colored socks can cause skin allergies in some people.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits