By Julie Murphree, Arizona Farm Bureau: As a journalist, we were taught in journalism school extensively about our sources and how it’s important to hear all sides of the issue. That’s still important today.
In fact, we should be skeptical from any one source that contends something is “all good” or “all bad.” On the GMO front [genetically modified organisms] we have too many telling us this issue is “all bad” or “all good.” Nothing is perfect, right?
If you do an Internet search, you’ll find mostly “all the bad.” So, if we want a well-rounded listing of sources, I’d encourage you to check out the following as it relates to the GMO - biotech - topic.
- Best Food Facts features information from university-based experts (PhDs and RDs) on many facets of food production, preparation and consumption: www.bestfoodfacts.org
- Biology Fortified provides information and fosters discussion about issues in biology with an emphasis on plant genetics and GMOs: www.Biofortified.org.
- Common Ground promotes conversation between women who grow food and women who buy it: www.findourcommonground.com
- CropLife International Database includes nearly 500 scientific studies chronicling the safety and benefits of agricultural biotechnology: http://biotechbenefits.croplife.org
- U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance focuses on creating dialogue around current topics related to food production: www.fooddialogues.com
- Food Insight from the International Food Information Council provides numerous resources on GM Foods: www.foodinsight.org/
- General Database (also by Biology Fortified) makes studies on GM foods easy to find: www.biofortified.org/genera/guide/
- GMO Answers enables consumers to ask questions about GMOs and get answers from independent and industry experts: www.gmoanswers.com
- The International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications provides communication materials and annual updates on the global status of GM crops: www.isaaa.com
Today, we have access to a wealth of information. Maybe it’s time to tap that treasure-trove of information.Join our Family!