By Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau: Let’s see that smile! The healthier those teeth are, the happier you look. It's because your teeth are important in many ways. If you take care of them, they'll help take care of you. Strong, healthy teeth help you chew the right foods to help you grow. They help you speak clearly. And yes, they help you look your best.
Arizona Farm Bureau members now have a discount member benefit program through U. S. Dental Access.
In addition to the benefit dental program, did you know that brushing your teeth twice a day can save you hundreds of dollars--sometimes thousands--in dental work?
Here are five tips to help your family keep their teeth healthy:
- Brush at least twice a day - after breakfast and before bedtime. Brushing your teeth the way they grow helps breaks down plaque. If you have very young children in the household, make brushing a fun thing to do by brushing your teeth at the same time. Children love to mimic their parents.
- Take your time while brushing. Spend at least 2 minutes each time you brush.
- Brush all of your teeth, not just the front ones. Spend some time on the teeth along the sides and in the back. Always brush away from your gums.
- Learn how to floss. Flossing is an important way to keep your teeth healthy. Next time you visit the dental office, ask your Dentist or Hygienist to show you the proper way to floss. If you don’t like to floss, ask about the alternative products on the market today.
- Be sure your toothbrush has soft bristles and that you get a new toothbrush every 3 months. Once the bristles begin to breakdown they are not removing plaque and it will begin to build up on your teeth.
To learn more about keeping a healthy smile, visit, www.azfb.org login and click on member benefits.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits.