Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau’s Marketing Manager: Taking the kids to the movies sounds like fun, provided multiple trips to the bathroom, crying because someone spilled the popcorn and the child that gets bored and wants to run up and down the aisle doesn’t scare you. When my children were young we had a few tricks to make a trip to the movies an enjoyable family time…all without chains and gags.
Here are five tips
- Choose the right movie: Make sure the movie you’ve chosen is suitable for your children’s ages and that the movie isn’t too long. Avoid the busier opening days to avoid larger crowds, long
linesand more noise.
- Grab an aisle seat and a booster: A quick escape is always easier if you’re in or near an aisle seat. Make it easy
onyourself to leave quickly and quietly without climbing over others. Most theatres have booster seats for small children…just ask at the ticket desk….the goal is to keep your lap child-free for an hour or two!
- Pre-purchase the tickets: Save yourself time at the ticket counter. Buy your tickets online. Farm Bureau members can save up to $3 a ticket when they buy a bundle of 10 Harkins Theatres tickets online at www.azfb.org.
- Bring your own snacks: For
budget-friendlymovie, skip the snack bar treats. You’ll save money and be able to limit the inevitable sugar rush that candy brings. As a compromise, grab a family–sized box of popcorn to share and bring the small boxed drinks from home.
- Let the kids know the ground rules: Roll out a few basic rules before you go to the movies. Make sure your children know the rules about being quite, staying in their seats and not disturbing other movie-goers. Always choose a time of day that suits the family’s routine. If your children are unruly or misbehaving let them know in advance that the consequence is to leave the movie altogether.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits.