Membership Matters: Hybrid Vehicles are the Cleanest and Greenest
By Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau: The idea with Hybrid vehicles is to get the most fuel economy out of a smaller engine. By combining top-notch fuel efficiencies and ultra-low tailpipe emissions, the end result is some of the cleanest and "greenest" vehicles we've ever seen. As a whole, Hybrids deliver big-engine performance with small-engine fuel economy. Yet they drive like (and are fueled the same way as) conventional vehicles. One example is the Ford Fusion Hybrid, offered by Farm Bureau’s member benefit provider Ford.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid
In this day and age, the more you can do to protect the environment (and save a few bucks!) the better! Which may be why the latest and greatest gadget in the automotive industry is the all-new Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV).
But before you run out to buy one, you may want to take a look at some cost and technical challenges
- There are added registration fees in some states.
- They cost more - anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 more than the non-Hybrid version of the same vehicle.
- Hybrids have a more complex powertrain, which means more chances for failure and fewer fixes that your typical mechanic could do.
- Parts may cost a bit more and not be as readily available as typical car parts.
- Special high-mileage tires are smaller, but they cost more to replace.
- The acceleration capability of some (not all) Hybrids is less than that of comparable vehicles.
- High-performance electric motors are not yet available in Hybrid vehicles, whose emphasis is on
economynot speed. (But they are getting better each year.)
Eligible Farm Bureau members can save $500 on new Ford vehicles or $750 on Lincoln vehicles. Members can login at www.azfb.org to download a bonus cash rebate certificate.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app (FB Benefits) to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits