By Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau: The healthier your teeth, the happier you look. Ever notice how people look at your eyes and your mouth as they talk with you? If you take care of your teeth, they'll not only give you a nice smile, but your strong, healthy teeth will also help you chew foods right to help you stay healthy. They help you speak clearly. And yes, they help you look your best.
Remember to get a new toothbrush every three months.
Arizona Farm Bureau members can take advantage of a member benefit discount program with U. S. Dental Access. Did you know that brushing your teeth twice a day can save you hundreds of dollars--sometimes thousands--in dental work?
Here are a few tips to help your family keep their teeth healthy:
- Brush at least twice a day - after breakfast and before bedtime. Brushing your teeth the way they grow helps breaks down plaque. If you have very young children in the household, make brushing a fun thing to do by brushing your teeth at the same time. Children love to mimic their parents.
- Take your time while brushing. Spend at least 2 minutes each time you brush.
- Brush all of your teeth, not just the front ones. Spend some time on the teeth along the sides and in the back. Always brush away from your gums.
- Learn how to floss. Flossing is an important way to keep your teeth healthy. Next time you visit the dental office, ask your Dentist or Hygienist to show you the proper way to floss. If you don’t like to floss, ask about the alternative products on the market today.
- Be sure your toothbrush has soft bristles and that you get a new toothbrush every 3 months. Once the bristles begin to
breakdownthey are not removing plaque and it will begin to build up on your teeth.
To learn more about keeping a healthy smile and to download a U.S. Dental Access card visit, www.azfb.org.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits.