Membership matters: Let’s Go to the Movies
By Peggy Jo Goodfellow, Arizona Farm Bureau Marketing Manager: We all love going to the movies, but taking the kids might leave you exhausted and frustrated long before the credits roll. I’ll never forget the first time we took both of our daughters, ages 3 and 6, to the movies. The complaints began almost immediately.
The youngest didn’t like sitting in the dark…too scary! The oldest wanted to hold the popcorn but didn’t want to sit by her sister. And it went downhill from there.
Here are a few tips I’ve learned about taking your children to the movies:
- Buy tickets in advance: Kids are fidgety in line. Plus, it allows you to go right in with all your tickets in hand. And, since you can buy a book of discounted Harkins tickets with your Farm Bureau membership in advance, you can go right inside and stop at the customer service line.
- Consider the time of day: Chose a show time that’s not around naptime but close to it so they are getting relaxed.
- Pack a bag of snacks: Busy little hands seem to prolong movie enjoyment. Think pre-sliced apples, grapes or small crackers in sandwich bags or small containers. Make sure each child has their own bag of goodies. Of course, you’re competing with movie theater popcorn and it might be worth the splurge especially if you got your Harkins tickets with your Farm Bureau discount.
- Bring a sweatshirt or sweater: Theaters are extra cold. Make sure everyone brings an extra layer to keep warm and comfortable.
Otherwiseyou’ll end up with someone cuddling with you and on your lap for two hours.
- Warn them about the dark: Most kids are surprised that it gets so dark in the theater. Give them a little warning about what to expect.
- Know before you go: Check out the movie beforehand to make sure it’s age- appropriate and that there’s nothing too scary for sensitive children. Some theaters host summer movie fun for kids.
- Find out 2017’s top movies for kids: Here
isThe Hollywood Reporter’s 18 of 2017’s Animated Movies for Kids.
Members of Farm Bureau can purchase discounted Harkins Theatres tickets from the Arizona Farm Bureau website.
Editor’s note: For more information on our member benefits including our regional benefits go to Arizona Farm Bureau’s member benefits page online. Or, download the Member Benefits app to your smart phone for easy, everyday access to your benefits.